The last confirmed sighting of a living Northern Curlew was in 1962. The photo above is proof of that sighting. What you're seeing may well have been the last Northern Curlew... and yet, almost every year, someone, somewhere thinks they've seen one. It has become a story of faith.
We are creating a film of that powerful, hopeful story. Our team includes the beloved Canadian actor R.H. Thomson, writer and broadcaster Tom Allen, music by Canadian composers R. Murray Schafer and Alexina Louie, riveting performances by the harpist Lori Gemmell (Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony) violinist Etsuko Kimura (Associate Concertmaster, Toronto Symphony) dancer/choreographer Julia Aplin.
Filmed on location in rural Ontario with director Gregory J. Sinclair and director of photography David Mewa, The Last Curlew sustains the memory of this haunting Canadian book and the lessons it shares, while showcasing wonderful Canadian music and brilliant performances, all captured in the harsh beauty of the Canadian shield - and you can be part of it!
In order to make this film as beautiful as it deserves to be - as beautiful as Fred Bodsworth's clear and gripping story - we need to raise money. That money will support our team of brilliant freelance creators who have been hit so hard by the pandemic, and will help to make a piece of audio and video art that will last long past this difficult time.
We would deeply appreciate it if you would join our team by making a donation toward our film of The Last Curlew. In thanks, we offer the following perks for your participation:
- With a $50 - $99 donation - an invitation to the debut virtual screening of The Last Curlew and your name in the closing credits.
- With a $100 - $249 donation - an invitation to the debut virtual screening of The Last Curlew your name in the closing credits and your own copy of Fred Bodsworth's The Last of the Curlews.
- With a $250 - $499 donation - your own screening of The Last Curlew, a signed original copy of the script, the book and your name in the closing credits.
- With a $500 - $1000 donation - your own copy of The Last Curlew, a signed original copy of the script, as well as the book, your name in the closing credits and a private screening of the film including a Zoom meeting with Tom Allen and other members of the cast.
- With a donation of $5000 or more - your own private (physically distanced) house concert, or virtual concert, with Tom Allen and Lori Gemmell, your own copy of The Last Curlew, a signed original copy of the script, as well as the book, and your name in the opening credits as a major donor to the film.
Join us, and help bring The Last Curlew home!
- Susan Tomkins
- Hugh Donnelly
- Peter McKinnon
- Olivia Lee
- Nancy Melcher
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more